Sunday, January 8, 2017

UBS goes open plan, and beyond

The open plan concept is not new but seeing UBS adopt this is cutting edge.  They take the concept a couple steps beyond via "thin desks," dedicated computers, and dedicated phones.

As a member of the open plan corporate culture, this is great for UBS' collaboration and I welcome them.

But let's face it, there are other things the article does not mention.  My open plan commercial real estate clients have told me that one major reason they prefer open plans is that they can see what each and every employee is working on.  The impulse to spend hours surfing the net is reduced when a manager is within eye-shot of your monitor.

Another item the article fails to mention is the need for privacy, phone rooms, nursing rooms, and nap rooms.  My clients have spent thousands of dollars utilizing these in their office layouts which employees clamor for.

A carefully designed office needs enclosed rooms if sensitive information needs to be discussed along with open, collaborative space.

My biggest issue with the open plan is the difficulty to concentrate and focus on the task at hand.  The disruption of conversations is a daily challenge.  I was just offered a private office but turned it down as much of my time is spent out of the office and I felt the next person in line would use it more than me.  I still want a private office but maybe if TRI moves to a more office-intensive space once our lease it up.  Right now the solution to my challenges is NOISE CANCELING HEADPHONES!


No comments:

Post a Comment